Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Set the Timer!

 I discovered a new strategy that I've been using the last few paintings. Following the advice of Jen Evenhus https://www.uartpastelpaper.com/uart-tip-38/ I've been setting a timer for 10 minutes at the start of a painting. When the time goes off I stop, photograph and assess. Then I do it again and again...until I am done. I'm finding this simple little trick to be quite impactful. For one thing, if I only paint 10 mins at a time, it's much harder to ruin the whole painting. That in turn makes me less anxious to actually get into the studio and paint. Looking at the photos later is also helping me see my process more clearly. 

 It's still taking me a while to finish (many many 10 min sessions) and it hasn't stopped me from overworking parts but having these stopping points is quite useful to remind me to step back and see where I am and where I want to go next. This is the first three 10 min sessions of a painting I'm working on now. Not done yet but coming along!

No comments:

Post a Comment