Thursday, July 21, 2022

Rulery Foolery

How many times, I wonder, do I have to learn something I thought I already knew? Started a painting but realized, after I decided it was overworked and didn't like it anymore, that I had been following rules that I didn't have to follow. So I started fresh with the same reference, but without the rules. Much better! 

It's not done yet, obviously but I'm feeling pretty good about it. 

What rules, you ask? Well first off the one that says I have to prove-to you-that I know what I'm doing. That one leads to other rules about formulas for value and color and how to apply pastel. Not that those rules aren't useful but when they jump ahead of the process-the doing-it's easy to lose the energy and soul of the painting. Here is painting #1 in case you're curious.

Heavier, tighter and not very much fun by the end because I was more invested in "pulling it off" that I was in the process of painting. 


How often do you get caught up in proving yourself? How does it turn out?

No comments:

Post a Comment